By Berni Ireland
It’s not about the shiny timber desk, fresh flowers or the water feature on the slate tiles. Although physical appearance is very important, there is something even more crucial to creating the WOW factor: Knowing why YOU are there. The “You” meaning the Chiropractor and the CA.
It is essential that the entire team is crystal clear on the Purpose, Vision, and & Mission (PVM) of your practice. This will enable you to create WOWs at every turn, not only at the front desk.
For example, if your Purpose is to lift the health consciousness of your community and part of your mission is to give excellent, caring, and friendly service, you will begin to create your WOW even before the client has scheduled an appointment. You might be thinking “How can I do this?” You do this by creating the right caring, safe, and friendly environment, going through your pre- and post-shift huddle, and setting the scene.
Every CA and DC has a role to play – mainly, to know, read and share your PVM and then put in place the necessary procedures to make this a reality. Dr John Demartini says “If you know your Purpose & Vision, your Mission will become self evident” and that is very true, especially dealing with the front desk experience.
SECRETS TO MAXIMISING SYNERGY AND FLOW
Preparation! Preparation! and … preparation!
- Define your Ideal Client.
- Before the phone rings, be in Present Time Consciousness (PTC) and say to yourself :
- Always stand when answering the telephone, dialling out or when clients are in the reception area. (CAs – you might be thinking “Oh, it’s okay to sit if people are reading healthy magazines or watching educational DVDs”. NO, it is not okay. If you want to give the best service, it is important to remain standing so that you are approachable, communicative, friendly and in PTC with the client, not the bookwork on your desk).
- Use the clients’ name at least 4 times during a phone call and also when they are in your practice.
- Review your appointment book so you know who is coming in the door. This leads to WOW = Winning Over the Welcome.
- Greet the client in PTC using their name, eye contact, and a smile.
- Always make contact with your client. Even if you are on the phone, wave or nod to them. Greet them with their name, eye contact and a smile when you have finished the phone call.
- Know what to say by being prepared with your scripts from role plays.
- Anticipate their arrival.
- Walk around desk to greet your new client.
- Show new client’s to a chair between two other chairs so that later you can sit on the communicative (open) side.
- Ensure their chair is facing the educational screen.
- Let the client relax and offer them water.
- Choose the open side, sit next to your client and explain how to fill out the form.
- Give your client a beautiful pen that works and a professionally printed form.
- Have any information you have already collected pre-filled out on the form, including the date.
- Offer to answer any questions and be available for them.
- Ask the client to return the form when completed.
- Remain standing behind desk or in reception area while your client fills in the form.
- Thank them, by name, for filling in the form.
- Provide them with uplifting educational material to take home, put their name on it, and highlight the main features in the article.
- Indicate to the Chiropractor, either by computer message or a sticky note on the front of the file, how to identify the new client in the reception area eg. Wearing a red sweater.
- Give the Chiropractor the completed form to review, ensuring all sections are filled out.
Preparation prevents poor performance!
Use the points above and add your own with your team, to create the WOW factor for your clients.